Thursday, April 7, 2011

Olivia




I'm not a great blogger. I'm a sucky texter-backer (hi Haley!) and a sucky blogger...this I know. So I am back to playing catch-up as always :) I'll keep it short and sweet for all of you that know I have a rambling problem. My name is Alex...and I have a rambling problem.

Okay, carrying on...

When I began to finally paint again I found myself spending a lot of time with one doll in particular. Her shape was not functional but she wasn't meant to be. I had always loved the Kokeshi from the San Diego Subtext show back in 2007. They selected over 75 artists from 13 countries and it was awesome to see the end result from some of my favorites working out of their 2 dimensional element.


This is my first doll with no ulterior motives to "do something"; no string to hold or purpose but to just sit there quietly on a shelf. Tedious, but I cannot tell you how great it was to make her! (I named this, doll # 1, Olivia after the daughter of a new friend).
* Olivia is now with a wonderful kiwi in New Zealand. :)



I also decided to take on a wedding cake topper order! I have had many requests over the years and turn them down 95% of the time (plenty of Etsy sellers making wedding cake toppers), but I figure as long as I take on one couple at a time, my perfectionistic problems won't get in my way. Translating human faces onto a round 3-D surface is challenging abut also fun-times! I had forgotten how much fun it was to create this family awhile back. Aside from Olivia, custom painting is sooo rewarding!



 

2 comments:

  1. What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are doing well. I have missed your blog posts but I know that you are busy. Just wanted you to know that I am sitll thinking about you.
    Jenn Bontrager

    ReplyDelete